HOW MUCH FLASH IS RIGHT FOR MY WEBSITE?!
Article by Lonny Hallsted (Kazeli - Business Referral Network)
What is Flash?
Macromedia Flash is a very powerful tool to enable media rich animations, presentations, and entire websites to be viewed through your browser. Due to Flash’s architecture the size of the media file can be greatly compressed and is considerably less in file size than any other type of media player. Additionally, no other software or scripting language can match its ability to add quick interactive elements, sounds, and movement in such a small file sizes.
How do I know if I should use Flash?
The decision to use a website entirely built with flash or as an element in an HTML website or not at all, should be based on your company’s objectives. Here is a quick list of questions to get you started.
Is it important:
- to update your website frequently (ie at least 2 to 3 times per month)?
- for you or your staff to maintain your own website with minimal expertise?
- to print a page from your website?
- to be found in the Search Engines?
- to be able to add an inside page of your website to “favorites” list?
- to have the ability to send a direct link to an inside page of your website to a customer, colleague, or friend?
- for someone not to leave your website when they click the back button?
- to be able to view Flash on a mobile platform?
If you answered "YES" to any of these, then a completely Flash based website is not for you, however flash elements or HTML5 can be used. Try these questions below…
Is it important:
- to have a lasting ONE-TIME impact of your company, product or services?
- to have a creative presentation versus functional?
- to have your website on CD?
- to have music seamlessly throughout your website to set a specific type of mood for the visitor?
- to have a smooth transition between each page of your website?
If you have answered “YES” to any of these questions, then it’s reasonable to consider either a flash presentation, elements, or a site built completely in Flash.
How many people can view Flash?
Macromedia Flash Player is used by over 1 million professionals and reaches more than 98% of Internet-enabled desktops worldwide as well as a wide range of devices. View the worldwide ubiquity of Macromedia Flash by version
Example - Flash Element within an HTML Page:
Below is an example of how the website of People Achieve utilizes the advantages of HTML with a flash animated element found on the homepage.
Example - Flash Website:
Below is an example of how the website of Bumblebee utilizes the advantages of Flash by incorporating loads of illustration, sound, interaction, and movement.
I hope these questions will provide some guidelines as to the solution that is right for you.
If you would like to learn more about how we can help you implement your website, please chat with us! Visit Kazeli's Business Listing